I haven’t ever seen the point in categories for my blog before now (I’m still not sure I do).
But making a virtue out necessity and ignorance, I can’t turn off the category thing in the theme I am using for this blog and rather than having it jarringly state “UNCATEGORIZED” in the byline for each piece, I thought I’d set some up.
The challenge is that my ideas about categories change all the time, its partly why I prefer the versatility of tags to the taxonomy approach.
So rather than focus on topics, I’m going to have categories based around the different ways I am thinking and working on this blog:
- Public notebook: This is the default – my blog is my public notebook ahead of anything else.
- Speaking: Notes and slides and things that support specific events where I am speaking.
- Me and My Web Shadow: Things connected with the book I wrote. I think I will write posts here from now on and then cross-post them out to the book’s website. I don’t have enough attention/time to divide myself between different blogs and do much with them, so Open… will continue to where I post everything and connect to the rest of my online presence.
- Brilliant Noise: This is my new project. A think/do tank of sorts, a home for a lot of projects. But more of that later this week, I hope.
- Media & brands: This is what I started out writing about as the main focus for this blog, and mainly what my career has been about up until now. I expect to still write about it, but it is not the only focus of this blog.
: : Now, unless I can say that I am ignoring all the dates in the calendar and renaming them all “J” I am going to have to work out how to fix the number thing in the byline for my blog posts…